<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://thecozyreadingnook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Cozy Reading Nook: Nonfiction November - Reads Like Fiction

Friday, November 23, 2018

Nonfiction November - Reads Like Fiction



Week four of Nonfiction November!  Thanksgiving has had me running everywhere, and I almost forgot to post!  But I love this book I’m highlighting today, so I can’t miss sharing it with you.


Week 4: (Nov. 19 to 23) – Reads Like Fiction (Rennie @ What’s Nonfiction): Nonfiction books often get praised for how they stack up to fiction. Does it matter to you whether nonfiction reads like a novel? If it does, what gives it that fiction-like feeling? Does it depend on the topic, the writing, the use of certain literary elements and techniques? What are your favorite nonfiction recommendations that read like fiction? And if your nonfiction picks could never be mistaken for novels, what do you love about the differences?

Reads Like Fiction


Nonfiction is hard for me to get through.  Even if I am hungry for knowledge on a certain topic, I simply just read it more slowly than I read a novel. 

There are times when I like to sit with a pencil and underline important facts or jot notes on interesting parts.  It is important to learn from factual sources.

But I just love reading stories.  The characters pull me into their world.  The descriptions pull me into that time and place.  So, writing a nonfiction work that reads like fiction?  Yes, please, I want it!

Often biographies and memoirs are the easiest genres to have “fiction-y” nonfiction.  And my pick for this theme is an autobiography.

Or you could call it a parenting self-help book.

Which, I think makes it the best of all the worlds.


Bringing Up Bébé

The book Bringing Up Bébé is the only parenting book that I finished all the way through.  Not only did I feel like I learned a ton, I was cracking up laughing half the time.  And I felt like I was Pamela’s best friend just having a coffee with her as she imparted all her self-deprecating wisdom.

An American woman marries and Englishman and they move to Paris.  As they begin to start their family, Pamela is struck by the behavior of the French kids.  They don’t throw tantrums.  They eat their vegetables.  They play independently while their moms have a conversation.

*jaw drop*

So, Pamela set out on a mission to find the key to French parenting.

She takes you through being pregnant, teaching your baby to sleep, introducing a toddler to gourmet vegetables, giving your child choices, helping your child practice waiting and much more.  All through the story of her own motherhood experiences.

I laughed at her mistakes.  I underlined all the details.  And I dog-eared the pages with the recipes. 

She also wrote a companion book: Bébé Day by Day that is essentially the spark notes for this book without her autobiography running through it.  My copy had it in the back, and I made my husband read it. 

Basically, the French believe the child is capable of learning anything (yes, even how to sleep through the night!), but also they are not the center of the universe.  French parents have a balance between their adult lives and the lives of their children.  Not because they believe the child is less important than the adults, but because they believe everyone in the family has an important place and needs to be met.  

The French view parenting as éducation – it is teaching them everything they need for life.

Read if…


You are thinking of starting a family
You have young kids at home
You have nieces or nephews or grandchildren
You love to learn about other cultures and laugh along the way!

Nonfiction


I have been trying to expand my nonfiction reading. But I have been stuck reading the same two nonfiction books for quite a while.  Neither read like fiction at all, so I’m thinking that maybe I should make a change for my next nonfiction book. 

And I’m thinking I should probably go back to biography or memoir-type.

I really admire all of you out there who read nonfiction that does not have plot arcs and interesting characters to pull you in and keep you engaged.  You inspire me.  And that is something I need to work on.

I can’t wait to go through the Nonfiction November challenge to get some more book recommendations!

Head over to What's Nonfiction for the rest of the Nonfiction November posts for this week.

What are you reading that reads like fiction?  What should I read next?

Happy Reading!

Hannah

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 25, 2018 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

My opinion (as a huge nonfiction reader): It's not grabbing you? Put it down!

 
At November 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Hannah Hill said...

Thank you for saying that! It's good to have permission to stop reading something ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home