<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://thecozyreadingnook.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Cozy Reading Nook: TBR Mix & Mingle - What I'm Reading for March

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

TBR Mix & Mingle - What I'm Reading for March




TBR Mix & Mingle

March 2019

Find my March books:


TBR Mix & Mingle - What I'm Reading for March

As we start blooming into spring and leaving that cold, wet winter behind, I’m gearing up for a great reading month.  While I didn’t exactly read what I planned in January and February, I did finish five books each month.  Now, with warmer weather around the corner, outside activities, and a month full of birthdays, we’ll see if I’m as successful this month!

I'm linking up with Literary Quicksand for March's TBR Mix & Mingle.


The Locksmith's Daughter by Karen Brooks 

The Locksmith’s Daughter by Karen Brooks

Find on Amazon

After her reputation is ruined, the locksmith’s daughter, Mallory Bright, has a questionable future.  It is 1580, Elizabeth I is queen, and Mallory gets swept up in the world of espionage that was famous during this time.  It turns out her unofficial training from her father has made her specially equipped to become a spy. 

I’m interested because… Elizabethan times are intriguing and mysterious, and I just read A Column of Fire (my review)… that has a backdrop of the spies and religious conflict surrounding Queen Elizabeth’s England. 

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

 

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

Find on Amazon

I think I might be becoming a Morton-ite (is that a thing?).  After finishing The House at Riverton (my review) last year and The Forgotten Garden (my review) last month, I’ve picked up another of her books! 

Like other Kate Morton books an old house (in this case a castle) is a central character to a story that spans time to figure out the secrets of a family.  In the Distant Hours, Edie discovers a 50 year old letter that leads to questions about her mother’s time during World War II. 

I’m interested because…it’s Kate Morton, obviously, but also because of the connection to World War II.  Plus, the inside cover says, “Morton pays homage to the classics of gothic fiction”, and I’m interested to find out what that means and how she does that.


The Witch Elm by Tanya French

 

The Witch Elm by Tanya French

Find it on Amazon

Way back in October, I was looking for suspenseful reads for fall, and The Witch Elm was on my list.  However, I’m just now getting around to it!  Part of me says it’s not a book for spring, but since I have it now I don’t think I can wait. 

After Toby is attacked and left for dead, he decides to retreat to his ancestral home.  This turns far from restful for him, as a skull found on the estate leads to detectives asking questions about his past.  But how much can he trust his past?  Does he know who he is?

I’m interested because… knowing ourselves seems to hold us grounded to our past, present and future.  But, as the cover asks, what will we become, “when we no longer know who we are.”

The Reckoning by John Grisham 

The Reckoning by John Grisham

Find it on Amazon

Honestly, I’ve never read John Grisham because I view him as a “author for men”.  As I look back over the books I’ve read recently, an overwhelming number are by female authors.  So, as to not hold myself back, I am going to read The Reckoning this month!

After coming home from World War II, Pete Banning shoots Reverend Dexter Bell, pastor in the Methodist church.  And, afterwards, he refuses to shed any light on his motive.  While set in the middle of last century, it seems relevant to today’s turmoil surrounding gun violence.

I’m interested because… John Grisham is a celebrated writer, WWII is incorporated, and a legal mystery has to be solved.



The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro 

Bonus: The Case for Jamie by Brittany Cavallaro

Find it on Amazon

Most of these books are a little dense (look how thick those spines are!), so I’m trying to be realistic about how much I will read this month.

BUT, I might just add this one to the list.  I have been wanting to read this third book in the Charlotte Holmes series after finishing Brittany Cavallro’s first two novels last January.  Charlotte is a teenager descended from the one and only Sherlock Holmes, and she finds herself to be much more like him than one might imagine.  Also, she inherited his knack for stumbling upon cases to solve, alongside another descendent of a famous character – Jamie Watson. 

I’m interested because…while Sherlock Holmes is interesting, Cavallro’s YA twist on the classic is exhilarating! 

Four New Books on my TBR List


What are your book plans for March?

Happy Reading!

Hannah

You might also be interested in:



Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At March 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Megan said...

You have an excellent TBR going! I have read a few Tana French books and loved them, but I haven't checked out Witch Elm yet -- I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I haven't read much Kate Morton, except for The Clockmaker's Daughter, which I gather isn't a fan favorite... I'm definitely interested in more from her. Hope this is a good one!

Thanks for linking up with us :)

- Megan @ The Hungry Bookworm / Literary Quicksand

 
At March 7, 2019 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Hannah Hill said...

Thank you! Yes, I hear The Clockmaker’s Daughter is not quite up to par with Kate Morton’s others (I haven’t read it yet), but if you’re interested in trying her out again I’d go with The Forgotten Garden – it was incredible!

 
At March 8, 2019 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Tina TBR Etc said...

While The Witch Elm wasn't my favorite Tana French, if you are looking for suspense it will totally work for that!

 
At March 10, 2019 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Erica Robyn said...

Awesome list! I hope you enjoy all of these! I'm almost through my list for March already, so I'm pumped! I just DNFed Early Riser by Jasper Fforde, so I'm hoping the next one I pick up is much better!

 
At March 12, 2019 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Hannah Hill said...

I've heard that from someone else, too, so I'm thinking I'll have to check out more of her!

 
At March 12, 2019 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Hannah Hill said...

Thank you! I hope your next one is better, too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home